Clear Function is working with a manufacturer, with a strong CIO and a competent infrastructure team. The client is a Windows shop (infrastructure, development, etc.) and had decided to start downsizing their datacenter footprint. Their natural choice was to evaluate Microsoft Azure, and they did commit to the Azure platform, via an Enterprise Agreement (EA).
Large IT departments who are moving to the cloud go through a oft repeated process: 1) IT personnel evaluate the Azure platform and make a recommendation to the decision makers, 2) the IT decision makers work with Microsoft on acquiring their EA, in order to get Azure consumption benefits like discounts, and 3) the onboarding process happens. Onboarding to Azure is straightforward, but typically is not well absorbed at the time and some choices are not fully understood. We have seen this at Clear Function multiple times and seek to provide relief in this area. In this client’s case, they had an immediate need to move some workloads into Azure, via lift and shift activities, and wanted to happen in a few days.
Clear Function worked with the customer through the process, describing a solution path that included the following:
- understanding the newly provided Enterprise Portal, a benefit to EA customers
- helping them create and configure their first workload with Azure IaaS services
- how they could create an Azure hybrid environment, to allow a phased transition from their data center to Azure services
- educate the IT team on the Azure equivalent terms and processes that they understood in their Windows Server world
- educate the IT team on architectural choices related to the Azure pricing model
- sat in the onboarding call with Microsoft
When the effort was done, the client was well positioned to understand the technical and financial responsibilities of the Azure portals, as well as had their first Azure workload in production.
Your Challenge: a good technical partner can help you with business, technical, and financial considerations in your move to the cloud. Challenge them to clarify the cost of your next workload, and then come see us at Clear Function to see the difference.